[petsc-users] Block Tridiagonal Solver

John L. Papp jpapp at craft-tech.com
Fri Sep 6 16:11:30 CDT 2019

Hello,

I need a parallel block tridiagonal solver and thought PETSc would be
perfect.  However, there seems to be no specific example showing exactly
which VecCreate and MatCreate functions to use.  I searched the archive
and the web and there is no explicit block tridiagonal examples
(although ex23.c example solves a tridiagonal matrix) and the manual is
vague on the subject.  So a couple of questions:

 1. Is it better to create a monolithic matrix (MatCreateAIJ) and vector
    (VecCreate)?
 2. Is it better to create a block matrix (MatCreateBAIJ) and vector
    (VecCreate and then VecSetBlockSize or is there an equivalent block
    vector create)?
 3. What is the best parallel solver(s) to invert the Dx=b when D is a
    block tridiagonal matrix?

If this helps, each row will be owned by the same process.  In other
words, the data used to fill the [A] [B] [C] block matrices in a row of
the D block tridiagonal matrix will reside on the same process.  Hence,
I don't need to store the individual [A], [B], and [C] block matrices in
parallel, just the over all block tridiagonal matrix on a row by row basis.

Thanks in advance,

John

Dr. John Papp
Senior Research Scientist