[petsc-users] Handling infeasible solution iterates in TS/SNES

Steve stevenbenbow at quintessa.org
Tue Sep 3 06:32:57 CDT 2019

Thanks for this Barry, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Sorry for not spotting this myself - I was looking for concepts such as
'feasibility', 'range' etc. in the API method names, so should probably
have realised that 'DomainError' could be interpreted similarly.

The suggested documentation update is a good one for us less experienced
users I think - thanks for this.

In case it is of interest, the approach that I take when trying to find
information on PETSc concepts that are new to me is to first search the
PDF manual, since that includes a lot of high-level information in one
easily searchable place.  I don't think that either of these
...DomainError() methods are mentioned there
(SNESSetJacobianDomainError() does appear in a code snippet, but without
any explanation).  It might be helpful for the likes of me to add a
quick mention to these methods in the PDF manual in a future update, and
also slip in the 'feasible' word if you think that others might search
on that.  I appreciate that these big documents are the hardest to keep
up-to-date in a fast moving software project though, whereas the API
docs can be tweaked relatively quickly.

Best regards,

Steve

--
Dr Steven J Benbow
Quintessa Ltd, First Floor, West Wing, Videcom House, Newtown Road, Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire RG9 1HG, UK

Quintessa Limited is an employee-owned company registered in England, Number 3716623.
Registered office: Quintessa Ltd, First Floor, West Wing, Videcom House, Newtown Road, Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire RG9 1HG, UK

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify privacy at quintessa.org and delete it from your system