[petsc-users] is TS_EQ_DAE_SEMI_EXPLICIT_INDEX functional

Constantinescu, Emil M. emconsta at anl.gov
Mon Sep 2 19:27:40 CDT 2019

Indeed, various time steppers can take advantage of the differential
form provided and also can serve as a sanity check (e.g., warn users
before they use an explicit solver on an index-2 DAE). To my knowledge,
we do not have solvers that take advantage of semi-explicit DAEs, but
it's good practice to annotate applications for when solvers are
available. In ARKIMEX, we check only if the problem is TS_EQ_IMPLICIT or
not (this includes DAEs and ODEs with mass matrix on the left M\dot{u}).
If you are solving a DAE, you should use TS_EQ_IMPLICIT. G=M^-1 g is
either for nonstiff ODE or partitioned ODE with mass matrix, which can
be used if you have a fast way to compute M^-1 g.

Emil