[petsc-users] calculating eigenvalues for the Stokes equations in 3D

Patrick Sanan patrick.sanan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 08:10:59 CDT 2019

"Solve the forward problem" means "solve the Stokes equations".  This terminology is used to contrast with the "inverse problem"  of recovering the parameters of the Stokes equations (viscosity) from the solution (pressure and velocity).

Here, it sounds like you need to be able to
1) solve the (discretized) Stokes equations (see Matt's comments)
2) use SLEPc to analyze the operator (in PETSc, a "Mat" object) and extract the eigenvalues.