[petsc-users] Wrapper function to factorize a matrix

Zhang, Hong hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 21 21:29:53 CDT 2019

Matt:
On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 9:47 PM Zhang, Hong <hzhang at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:hzhang at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:
Matt:
On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 9:30 PM Zhang, Hong via petsc-users <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:
Shash,
You may do it without using pc. See petsc/src/mat/examples/tests/ex125.c

Does this example let you invert the matrix and just apply to get the solve?
No. It gets LU factors stored in F, then call MatSolve(F, b, x)  multiple times to get solution x for given b.

Do we have anything in PETSc now that gets the inverse? Storing and applying the inverse can be much faster
than using the factors (it's done in supernodal methods, and it our patch smoothers). If not, we should talk about
adding it.
I do not see we have such example. You may use MatMatSolve(F, I, Ainv), where the input I is the dense identity matrix.
Note: superlu_dist and mumps give sparse F = LU. invA is a dense matrix in general.
Hong