[petsc-users] negative grid complexity in GAMG

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 15 23:17:33 CDT 2019

   I think I now see the bug: the code uses PetscInt       lev, nnz0 = -1; which will overflow. It should be using PetscLogDouble for nnz0

  You can try changing that one place in the code and see that it now prints a reasonable value for complexity.

  I will prepare a MR for maint to fix the bug permanently.

  Barry

static PetscErrorCode PCMGGetGridComplexity(PC pc, PetscReal *gc)
{
  PetscErrorCode ierr;
  PC_MG          *mg      = (PC_MG*)pc->data;
  PC_MG_Levels   **mglevels = mg->levels;
  PetscInt       lev, nnz0 = -1;
  MatInfo        info;
  PetscFunctionBegin;
  if (!mg->nlevels) SETERRQ(PETSC_COMM_SELF,PETSC_ERR_PLIB,"MG has no levels");
  for (lev=0, *gc=0; lev<mg->nlevels; lev++) {
    Mat dB;
    ierr = KSPGetOperators(mglevels[lev]->smoothd,NULL,&dB);CHKERRQ(ierr);
    ierr = MatGetInfo(dB,MAT_GLOBAL_SUM,&info);CHKERRQ(ierr); /* global reduction */
    *gc += (PetscReal)info.nz_used;
    if (lev==mg->nlevels-1) nnz0 = info.nz_used;
  }
  if (nnz0) *gc /= (PetscReal)nnz0;
  else *gc = 0;
  PetscFunctionReturn(0);