[petsc-users] Block preconditioning for 3d problem

Dave Lee davelee2804 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 18:38:35 CDT 2019

Hi Jed and Mark,

thanks for your helpful comments. Yes the nonlinear outer problem is
uncoupled between the slabs, it is only the linear inner problem where they
are coupled.

I've tried to make the slab DOFs close in memory, and also tried using a
tight tolerance on the outer KSP (1.0e-20), but without success.

You make some really good points about scaling issues Jed and Mark. This is
a solve for a global atmosphere, and each 2D slab is a horizontal layer of
the atmosphere, so the pressure (which the linear solve is for) will vary
dramatically between slabs. Perhaps I can additionally precondition the
linear problem to normalise the pressure in each slab so that they stay
close to unity.

Cheers, Dave.