[petsc-users] Schur complement preconditioner

Salazar De Troya, Miguel salazardetro1 at llnl.gov
Tue Oct 1 14:33:32 CDT 2019

Hello,

I am trying to understand the difference between the commands -pc_fieldsplit_schur_precondition and -fieldsplit_1_pc_type when we use -pc_fieldsplit_type schur. The first one I know from the manual that it is the preconditioner for the Schur complement matrix. The second command seems to also be a preconditioner for the Schur complement matrix, as said here https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/PC/PCFIELDSPLIT.html , what’s the motivation to have the first command then ? I might not be understanding some of the mechanics of PETSc

Thanks
Miguel

Miguel A. Salazar de Troya
Postdoctoral Researcher, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
B141
Rm: 1085-5
Ph: 1(925) 422-6411