[petsc-users] Nonzero I-j locations

Manav Bhatia bhatiamanav at gmail.com
Wed May 29 18:29:08 CDT 2019

Thanks, Barry.

I am working on a FE application (involving bifurcation behavior) with libMesh where I need to solve the system of equations along with a few extra unknowns that are not directly related to the FE mesh. I am able to assemble the n x 1 residual (R_fe) and  n x n  Jacobian (J_fe ) from my code and libMesh provides me with the sparsity pattern for this.

Next, the system of equations that I need to solve is:

 [   J_fe   A ]  { dX } =  { R_fe  }
 [   B       C ]  { dV } =  {R_ext }

 Where, C is a dense matrix of size m x m ( m << n ), A is n x m, B is m x n, R_ext is m x 1.   A, B and C are dense matrixes. This comes from the bordered system for my path continuation solver.

 I have implemented a solver using Schur factorization ( this is outside of PETSc and does not use the FieldSplit construct ). This works well for most cases, except when J_fe is close to singular.

 I am now attempting to create a monolithic matrix that solves the complete system.

 Currently, the approach I am considering is to compute J_fe using my libMesh application, so that I don’t have to change that. I am defining a new matrix with the extra non-zero locations for A, B, C.

  With J_fe computed, I am looking to copy its non-zero entries to this new matrix. This is where I am stumbling since I don’t know how best to get the non-zero locations in J_fe. Maybe there is a better approach to copy from J_fe to the new matrix?

  I have looked through the nested matrix construct, but have not given this a serious consideration. Maybe I should? Note that I don’t want to solve J_fe and C separately (not as separate systems), so the field-split approach will not be suitable here.

  Also, I am currently using MUMPS for all my parallel solves.

   I would appreciate any advice.

Regards,
Manav