[petsc-users] How do I supply the compiler PIC flag via CFLAGS, CXXXFLAGS, and FCFLAGS

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 28 13:54:44 CDT 2019

  Works for Intel and PGI compiles (the version I checked)

bsmith at es:~$ pgcc check-pic.c  -PIC
pgcc-Error-Unknown switch: -PIC
bsmith at es:~$ pgcc check-pic.c  -fPIC
bsmith at es:~$ pgcc check-pic.c
PGC-F-0249-#error --  "no-PIC" (check-pic.c: 2)
PGC/x86-64 Linux 19.3-0: compilation aborted
bsmith at es:~$ icc check-pic.c
check-pic.c(2): error: #error directive: "no-PIC"
  #error "no-PIC"
   ^

compilation aborted for check-pic.c (code 2)
bsmith at es:~$ icc check-pic.c -PIC
icc: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-PIC'
check-pic.c(2): error: #error directive: "no-PIC"
  #error "no-PIC"
   ^

compilation aborted for check-pic.c (code 2)
bsmith at es:~$ icc check-pic.c -fPIC
bsmith at es:~$

You are the man!