[petsc-users] Matrix free GMRES seems to ignore my initial guess

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 28 01:16:06 CDT 2019

> On May 28, 2019, at 12:41 AM, Jan Izak Cornelius Vermaak <janicvermaak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Checking the matrix would be hard as I have a really big operator. Its transport sweeps.
>
> When I increase the restart interval the solution converges to the right one.

  Run with -ksp_monitor_true_residual what are the true residuals being printed?

  The GMRES code has been in continuous use for 25 years, it would stunning if you suddenly found a bug in it.

   How it works, within a restart, the GMRES algorithm uses a simple recursive formula to compute an "estimate" for the residual norm. At restart it actually computes the current solution and then uses that to compute an accurate residual norm via the formula b - A x. When the residual computed by the b - A x is different than that computed by the recursive formula it means the recursive formula has run into some difficulty (bad operator, bad preconditioner, null space in the operator) and is not computing correct values. Now if you increase the restart to past the point when it "converges" you are hiding the incorrectly computed values computed via the recursive formula.

  I urge you to check the residual norm by b - A x at the end of the solve and double check that it is small. It seems unlikely GMRES is providing the correct answer for your problem.

   Barry