[petsc-users] Singlar values of the GMRES Hessenberg matrix

Dave Lee davelee2804 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 02:55:33 CDT 2019

Hi Matt and PETSc.

Thanks again for the advice.

So I think I know what my problem might be. Looking at the comments above
the function
KSPInitialResidual()
in
src/ksp/ksp/interface/itres.c
I see that the initial residual, as passed into VEC_VV(0) is the residual
of the *preconditioned* system (and that the original residual goes
temporarily to gmres->vecs[1]).

So I'm wondering, is the Hessenberg, as derived via the *HES(row,col) macro
the Hessenberg for the original Krylov subspace, or the preconditioned
subspace?

Secondly, do the vecs within the KSP_GMRES structure, as accessed via
VEC_VV() correspond to the (preconditioned) Krylov subspace or the
orthonormalized vectors that make up the matrix Q_k in the Arnoldi
iteration? This isn't clear to me, and I need to access the vectors in Q_k in
order to expand the corrected hookstep solution.

Thanks again, Dave.