[petsc-users] Question about parallel Vectors and communicators

GIRET Jean-Christophe jean-christophe.giret at irt-saintexupery.com
Thu May 9 11:34:39 CDT 2019

Hello,

Thanks Mark and Jed for your quick answers.

So the idea is to define all the Vecs on the world communicator, and perform the communications using traditional scatter objects? The data would still be accessible on the two sub-communicators as they are both subsets of the MPI_COMM_WORLD communicator, but they would be used while creating the Vecs or the IS for the scatter. Is that right?

I’m currently trying, without success, to perform a Scatter from a MPI Vec defined on a subcomm to another Vec defined on the world comm, and vice-versa. But I don’t know if it’s possible.

I can imagine that trying doing that seems a bit strange. However, I’m dealing with code coupling (and linear algebra for the main part of the code), and my idea was trying to use the Vec data structures to perform data exchange between some parts of the software which would have their own communicator. It would eliminate the need to re-implement an ad-hoc solution.

An option would be to stick on the world communicator for all the PETSc part, but I could face some situations where my Vecs could be small while I would have to run the whole simulation on an important number of core for the coupled part. I imagine that It may not really serve the linear system solving part in terms of performance. Another one would be perform all the PETSc operations on a sub-communicator and use “raw” MPI communications between the communicators to perform the data exchange for the coupling part.

Thanks again for your support,
Best regards,
Jean-Christophe