[petsc-users] Extremely slow DMNetwork Jacobian assembly

Abhyankar, Shrirang G shrirang.abhyankar at pnnl.gov
Wed May 8 21:53:12 CDT 2019

From: Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 9:29 PM
To: "Abhyankar, Shrirang G" <shrirang.abhyankar at pnnl.gov>
Cc: "Zhang, Hong" <hzhang at mcs.anl.gov>, Justin Chang <jychang48 at gmail.com>, petsc-users <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>
Subject: Re: [petsc-users] Extremely slow DMNetwork Jacobian assembly

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 10:17 PM Abhyankar, Shrirang G via petsc-users <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:

From: petsc-users <petsc-users-bounces at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:petsc-users-bounces at mcs.anl.gov>> on behalf of "Zhang, Hong via petsc-users" <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 8:01 PM
To: Justin Chang <jychang48 at gmail.com<mailto:jychang48 at gmail.com>>
Cc: petsc-users <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>>

Justin:
Great, the issue is resolved.
Why MatSetOption(J,MAT_NEW_NONZERO_ALLOCATION_ERR,PETSC_FALSE) does not raise an error?

I copy-pasted the above line from the power.c example. MatSetOption should use PETSC_TRUE to activate the MAT_NEW_NONZERO_ALLOCATION_ERR option.

Matt,

We usually prevent this with a structured SetValues API. For example, DMDA uses MatSetValuesStencil() which cannot write
outside the stencil you set. DMPlex uses MatSetValuesClosure(), which is guaranteed to be allocated. We should write one
for DMNetwork. The allocation is just like Plex (I believe) where you allocate closure(star(p)), which would mean that setting
values for a vertex gets the neighboring edges and their vertices, and setting values for an edge gets the covering vertices.
Is that right for DMNetwork?
Yes, DMNetwork behaves in this fashion.
I cannot find MatSetValuesClosure() in petsc-master.
Can you provide detailed instruction on how to implement  MatSetValuesClosure() for DMNetwork?
Note, dmnetwork is a subclass of DMPlex.

DMNetwork does not do any matrix creation by itself. It calls Plex to create the matrix.

Right. However, the only operation I put in was MatSetClosure() since that is appropriate for FEM. I think you would need
a MatSetStar() for DMNetwork as well.

I see that Hong has implemented has some additional code in DMCreateMatrix_Network that does not use Plex for creating the matrix.  I think it covers what you describe above.

Hong: DMNetwork matrix creation code is not used unless the user wants to set special sparsity pattern for the blocks. Shouldn’t this code be used by default instead of having Plex create the matrix?

Shri

   Matt

Hong