[petsc-users] Check if a matrix has been created

Shashwat Sharma shash.sharma at mail.utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 22 16:16:15 CDT 2019

Hello,

I'd like to be able to check if a Mat object has been created and allocated; if it hasn't been created yet, I want to create and allocate it, otherwise I want to reuse the existing allocation.

The context is that I have a Mat variable declared (but not defined) in a header file, so that it is available to the entire class. It is created (MatCreate) and allocated at a later point in the implementation, and may need to be reused with different values several times. But I don't want to allocate it unless it's needed, because it would be quite large.

Also, I want my destructor to only call MatDestroy on the matrix if it has been created (otherwise it gives seg faults).

How can I achieve this?

Thanks.