[petsc-users] Consistent domain decomposition between DMDA and DMPLEX

Swarnava Ghosh swarnava89 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 01:19:28 CDT 2019

Dear PETSc users and developers,

I am new to DMPLEX and had a query regarding setting up a consistent domain
decomposition of two meshes in PETSc.
I have a structured finite difference grid, managed through DMDA. I have
another unstructured finite element mesh managed through DMPLEX. Now all
the nodes in the unstructured finite element mesh also belong to the set of
nodes in the structured finite difference mesh (but not necessarily
vice-versa), and the number of nodes in DMPLEX mesh is less than the number
of nodes in DMDA mesh. How can I guarantee a consistent domain
decomposition of the two meshes? By consistent, I mean that if a process
has a set of nodes P from DMDA, and the same process has the set of nodes Q
from DMPLEX, then Q is a subset of P.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
Swarnava