[petsc-users] About Configuring PETSc

Balay, Satish balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 21 21:43:07 CDT 2019

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019, Maahi Talukder via petsc-users wrote:

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> So do I need to set the value of PETSC_ARCH as needed in .bashrc  as I did
> in case of PETSC_DIR ?

You can specify PETSC_ARCH as an option to make. You can have a default value set in .bashrc - and change to a different value on command line.

For ex: in .bashrc

export PETSC_ARCH=arch-debug

Now if you want to build with debug libraries:

make wholetest1

Now If you want to build with optimized libraries:

make PETSC_ARCH=arch-opt wholetest1

>  And by PETSC_ARCH=arch-opt, do you mean the
> non-debugging mode?

Yes. You can use whatever name you think is appropriate here.

./configure PETSC_ARCH=a-name-i-can-easily-associate-with-this-build [other configure options.]

> And I am using the following makefile with my code-
>
> CFLAGS =
> FFLAGS =-I/home/maahi/petsc/include
> -I/home/maahi/petsc/arch-linux2-c-debug/include -cpp -mcmodel=large

Hm - you shouldn't be needing these options here. You should switch your source files from .f to .F and .f90 to .F90 - and remove the above FFLAGS

Satish