[petsc-users] DMPlexComputeCellGeometryFVM: "Cannot handle faces with 1 vertices"

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 12:24:07 CDT 2019

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 11:20 AM <finnkochinski at keemail.me> wrote:

> I think I found a hint in src/dm/impls/plex/examples/tests/ex5.c to get my
> code corrected.
>
> Apparently the contiguous numbering is
> NOT: cells, vertices, edges, faces (as you said),
> BUT: cells, vertices, faces, edges.

There is an easy way to check. We can output the whole DAG for a single
cell using the ASCII viewer:

cd $PETSC_DIR/src/dm/impls/plex/examples/tests
make ex1
./ex1 -dim 3 -cell_simplex 0 -domain_box_sizes 1,1,1 -interpolate -dm_view
::ascii_info_detail

and yes, faces are numbered before edges. Sorry about the flip.

> Then in numPoints, you don't put depth 0..3 or depth 3..0,
> BUT: #vertices, #faces, #edges, #cells.

Actually the order in numPoints does not matter beyond having vertices
first, so the documentation is correct:

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/e551bc0b4a184f2209a31a59ea3fbdc3edbf3863/src/dm/impls/plex/plexcreate.c#lines-3066

> This seems completely random, but works in the attached example.
> Maybe you should finally take the time to document this mess if even the
> developers no longer understand it.

There is a chapter in the manual and many manpages.