[petsc-users] [petsc4py] DMPlexCreateFromDAG and other missing functions

finnkochinski at keemail.me finnkochinski at keemail.me
Fri Mar 8 10:01:55 CST 2019

Dear petsc4py experts,
I'd like to ask why several PETSc functions are not wrapped in petsc4py. I'd need to use DMPlexCreateFromDAG from python. Could you explain with this function as an example why there is no python wrapper available? Do I have to expect severe difficulties when I try this myself - impossible data structures, memory management or something else?

Then, if it was just lack of time that prevented these functions from being available in petsc4py but if it could be done easily:
Is the wrapping process of petsc4py documented somewhere? Or do I have to browse the sources to get an understanding? Do you use swig, clif, boost.python or something else?

Is it possible to write another (small) python extension for the missing functions independent from petsc4py that allows me to pass PETSc structures back and forth between the two? Or is it necessary to have /one/ complete wrapper, because interoperability is not possible otherwise?

regards
Chris

--
 Securely sent with Tutanota. Get your own encrypted, ad-free mailbox:
 https://tutanota.com