[petsc-users] Using MATAIJ and MATSBAIJ

Chih-Chuen Lin iancclin at umich.edu
Tue Jun 11 09:03:20 CDT 2019

Dear PETSc users,

I am Ian. I trying to implement a solver which involves a sparse symmetric matrix A multiplied by a dense matrix X. And because of the nature of the problem, the bandwidth of the matrix A would be kind of large.For A*X, I am thinking using reverse Cuthill-Mckee algorithm to reduce the bandwidth.

Are the following approach reasonable, or do you have a better advice?

1. Use MatGetOrdering to get a MATORDERINGRCM ordering, and MatPermute to create a new with it.

2. What’s the difference by using MATAIJ and MATBAIJ in terms of the entry insertion and computation and MPI efficiency for a sparse-dense matrix multiplication? Would it be better to use MATSBAIJ in terms of the computational efficiency?

Thanks,
Ian