[petsc-users] Dear Sir or Madam

Guoyi Ke gke at lsua.edu
Wed Jun 5 21:56:25 CDT 2019

Dear Sir or Madam,

Recently, our research group try to use the PCfieldsplit  method in Petsc to construct the preconditioner for the linear equation system. For example, if we have following system,

K11, K12, K13      u1      f1

 K21, K22, K23      u2  =  f2                                     (1)

 K31, K32, K33      u3      f3

we construct the preconditioner as follows:

 K11, K12, K13

 0,     K22, K23

 0,       0,    K33.

We also can reorder the system (1):

 K22, K21, K23      u2      f2
 K12, K11, K13      u1  =   f1                                  (2)
 K32, K31, K33      u3       f3

with the preconditioner

K22, K21, K23
 0,    K11, K13
 0,    0,     K33

We use the same solver for Eq.(1) and Eq. (2) with corresponding preconditioner. The question is: is solving the Eq. (1) equivalent to solving Eq. (2) in Petsc? From our results, it seems not. Thank you so much.

Best,

Guoyi

Note: This e-mail may contain PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the specific individual or entity named above. If you or your employer is not the intended recipient of this e-mail or an employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately delete the message.