[petsc-users] MatMultTranspose memory usage

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 30 18:34:34 CDT 2019

   Thanks, this is enough information to diagnose the problem.

   The problem is that 32 bit integers are not large enough to contain the "counts", in this case the number of nonzeros in the matrix. A signed integer can only be as large as PETSC_MAX_INT            2147483647.

    You need to configure PETSc with the additional option --with-64-bit-indices, then PETSc will use 64 bit integers for PetscInt so you don't run out space in int for such large counts.

    We don't do a perfect job of detecting when there is overflow of int which is why you ended up with crazy allocation requests like 18446744058325389312.

    I will add some more error checking to provide more useful error messages in this case.

    Barry

   The reason this worked for 4 processes is that the largest count in that case was roughly 6,653,750,976/4 which does fit into an int. PETSc only needs to know the number of nonzeros on each process, it doesn't need to know the amount across all the processors. In other words you may want to use a different PETSC_ARCH (different configuration) for small number of processors and large number depending on how large your problem is. Or you can always use 64 bit integers at a little performance and memory cost.