[petsc-users] Modifying dmplex dynamically

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 14:39:01 CDT 2019

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 4:26 AM Jian Zhang - 3ME via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am trying to modify the data inside dmplex. For example, I would like to
> add one point (vertice, edge or cell) to the dmplex and also remove one
> point. Is it possible to do this in dmplex? If yes, which functions I
> should use? Thank you very much.
>
> These are data structures optimized for queries, not updates. It is
possible to update them, for instance as we do in DMPlexInterpolate()
or DMPlexAdapt(), but you basically recreate the structure. You also have
to update auxiliary structures based on the topology. Sometimes
the alteration can be really low overhead, like DMPlexCreateGhostCells(),
but it depends on what is being done.

What exactly do you want to do?