[petsc-users] MemCpy (HtoD and DtoH) in Krylov solver

Xiangdong epscodes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 09:29:32 CDT 2019

Hello everyone,

I have two quick questions related to run gpu solvers.

1) # of MPI processes vs # of GPUs. Is it true that we should set these two
numbers equal if most of computations are done on GPU? For one case I
tested, with only one GPU, running with np=2 is 15% slower than np=1
(probably due to mpi communications). I am curious in what case, one will
benefit by having more mpi processes than number of GPUs.

2) When I use MatLoad(A,viewer) to load a binary format data into a
aijcusparse format A, how many matrices are created? Does it involve
creating a intermediate aij matrix A' on CPU then convert it to aijcuspare
A on GPU? I am not sure whether such intermediate aij matrix exist. If yes,
What is the life time of this matrix? Is it destroyed right after the
converting?

Thanks for your help.

Best,
Xiangdong