[petsc-users] MatMultTranspose memory usage

Mills, Richard Tran rtmills at anl.gov
Thu Jul 18 14:35:57 CDT 2019

Hi Kun and Karl,

If you are using the AIJMKL matrix types and have a recent version of MKL, the AIJMKL code uses MKL's inspector-executor sparse BLAS routines, which are described at

https://software.intel.com/en-us/mkl-developer-reference-c-inspector-executor-sparse-blas-routines

The inspector-executor analysis routines take the AIJ (compressed sparse row) format data from PETSc and then create a copy in an optimized, internal layout used by MKL. We have to keep PETSc's own, AIJ representation around, as it is needed for several operations that MKL does not provide. This does, unfortunately, mean that roughly double (or more, depending on what MKL decides to do) the amount of memory is required. The reason you see the memory usage increase right when a MatMult() or MatMultTranspose() operation occurs is that the we default to a "lazy" approach to calling the analysis routine (mkl_sparse_optimize()) until an operation that uses an MKL-provided kernel is requested. (You can use an "eager" approach that calls mkl_sparse_optimize() during MatAssemblyEnd() by specifying "-mat_aijmkl_eager_inspection" in the PETSc options.)

If memory is at enough of a premium for you that you can't afford the extra copy used by the MKL inspector-executor routines, then I suggest using the usual PETSc AIJ format instead of AIJMKL. AIJ is fairly well optimized for many cases (and even has some hand-optimized kernels using Intel AVX/AVX2/AVX-512 intrinsics) and often outperforms AIJMKL. You should try both AIJ and AIJMKL, anyway, to see which is faster for your combination of problem and computing platform.

Best regards,
Richard