[petsc-users] LU Performance

Jared Crean jcrean01 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 16:05:32 CDT 2019

Hello,

     I am getting very bad performance from the Umfpack LU solver when I
use it via Petsc compared to calling Umfpack directly. It takes about
5.5 seconds to factor and solve the matrix with Umfpack, but 140 seconds
when I use Petsc with -ksp_type preonly -pc_type lu
-pc_factor_mat_solver_type umfpack.

     I have attached a minimal example (test.c) that reads a matrix from
a file, solves with Umfpack, and then solves with Petsc.  The matrix
data files are not included because they are about 250 megabytes.  I
also attached the output of the program with -log_view for
-pc_factor_mat_solver_type umfpack (fout_umfpacklu) and
-pc_factor_mat_solver_type petsc (fout_petsclu).  Both results show
nearly all of the time is spent in MatLuFactorNum.  The times are very
similar, so I am wondering if Petsc is really calling Umfpack or if the
Petsc LU solver is getting called in both cases.

     Jared Crean