[petsc-users] Implementing TS routine

Zhang, Hong hongzhang at anl.gov
Thu Jul 4 23:18:20 CDT 2019

On Jul 3, 2019, at 3:10 PM, Manuel Valera <mvalera-w at sdsu.edu<mailto:mvalera-w at sdsu.edu>> wrote:

Thanks Zhang for your answer,

I ended up getting a compiling and running TS routine... that does not give me the answers, and i am not sure what i am doing wrong,

My TS code so far looks like this:

(...initialization...)

call TSCreate(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,ts,ierr)
call TSSetProblemType(ts,TS_NONLINEAR,ierr)
call TSSetSolution(ts,gTemperature,ierr)
call TSSetRHSFunction(ts,PETSC_NULL_VEC,FormRHSFunction,PETSC_NULL_VEC,ierr)

The second last argument should be the user context. If you pass NULL, the ctx variable in your FormRHSFunction will be NULL.

call TSSetType(ts,TSSSP,ierr)
call TSSetTimeStep(ts,dt,ierr)
call TSSetDM(ts,daScalars,ierr)
call TSSetMaxTime(ts,TotalTime,ierr)
call TSSetExactFinalTime(ts,TS_EXACTFINALTIME_STEPOVER,ierr)
call TSSetFromOptions(ts,ierr)
call TSSetUp(ts,ierr)

(... then inside main calculations loop i have...)

call TSSolve(ts,gTemperature,ierr)

(...and my RHSFunction looks like this...)

subroutine FormRHSFunction(ts,t,t_loc,rhs_loc,ctx,ierr)

  use petscvec
  use petscts
  use petscdmda
  use petscdm

  USE utils
  USE dmdaobjs
  USE probsize
  USE modelparams

  implicit none

  TS            :: ts
  PetscReal     :: t
  Vec           :: ctx,t_loc,rhs_loc
  PetscErrorCode    :: ierr

        call TSGetDM(ts,daScalars,ierr)

        call DMGetLocalVector(daScalars,t_loc,ierr);

t_loc is the input, it should be not modified.

        call DMGlobalToLocalBegin(daScalars,gTemperature,INSERT_VALUES,t_loc,ierr);CHKERRQ(ierr)
        call DMGlobalToLocalEnd(daScalars,gTemperature,INSERT_VALUES,t_loc,ierr);CHKERRQ(ierr)

FormRHSFunction is supposed to implement rhs_loc = f(t,t_loc). So you want to scatter ghost points for t_loc, not gTemperature.

        call DMDASolveTExplicit(3)

        call DMGetLocalVector(daScalars,rhs_loc,ierr);
        call DMGlobalToLocalBegin(daScalars,TRHSS_ts,INSERT_VALUES,rhs_loc,ierr);CHKERRQ(ierr)
        call DMGlobalToLocalEnd(daScalars,TRHSS_ts,INSERT_VALUES,rhs_loc,ierr);CHKERRQ(ierr)

There is no need to scatter ghost points for rhs_loc.

        call DMRestoreLocalVector(daScalars,t_loc,ierr);CHKERRQ(ierr)
        call DMRestoreLocalVector(daScalars,rhs_loc,ierr);CHKERRQ(ierr)

end subroutine FormRHSFunction

Where DMDASolveTExplicit(3) is the old function to calculate time integration with runge kutta, modified to only generate the f(t,u) which in this case is rhs_loc,

I still have several doubts:

  *   Will this explicit RHS calculation work with TS routines? my time integration is explicit so far and it would involve a fair deal of extra work to make it implicit.

For explicit time integration, one needs to provide only RHSFunction.

  *   This 't' parameter in the RHSFunction is controlled by PETSC? i am not providing anything for it directly, where is it coming from?

It is controlled by PETSc. If your problem is autonomous (the RHS does not depend on t), it can be simply ignored.

  *   Do i need to provide a Jacobian or the TS routine will try to guess one? This is related to the first point where my time scheme being explicit does not use a jacobian.

For explicit time integration, Jacobian is not needed.

Hong

Thanks, any help is appreciated, if you see any errors or need more information please let me know,

Regards,

Manuel