[petsc-users] DMPlex H27 elements

Yann Jobic yann.jobic at univ-amu.fr
Sat Jan 5 03:03:59 CST 2019

On 05/01/2019 02:36, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 10:04 AM Yann Jobic via petsc-users
> <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov <mailto:petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Petsc Users,
>
>     I'm using DMPlexCreateFromCellList to create my DM. I would like
>     to have
>     an order 2 geometry.
>
>     It's working fine in 2D for elements of type Q9.
>

> I do not see how that is possible. The topology does not work that
> way, and there
> is no way a 9 vertex quad was interpolated, so something else is
> happening.
>
> Moreover, anything you input still has affine geometry. Toby has been
> working on
> non-affine geometry, and all the code is there, but right now you have
> to build and
> populate the coordinate space by hand. What this means is that you
> create a
> quadratic space for the coordinate DM (rather than the default
> linear), get the
> global coordinate vector out, and stick in the Q9 coordinates. The
> topology is still
> the same no matter what coordinates you read in.

I get the idea. So at the beginning i start with the Q4/H8 dmplex, then
i fill from the global coordinate vector the missing coordinates, and
attach this new coordinate vector to the DM. Then the interpolation will
be correct ? Can i use DMproject and all the petsc functions ?

In order to output the results, i've got to write my own vtk interface
no ? (by splitting the Q9/H27 in 4xQ4 or 8xH8).

Or is it working with the hdf5 one ?

Does the p4est interface work with this setup ?

> We will get around to making an interface for this soon.

Great !

Thanks,

Yann