[petsc-users] Updating TS solution outside PETSc

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Thu Dec 5 12:32:50 CST 2019

"Ellen M. Price" <ellen.price at cfa.harvard.edu> writes:

> I think I'm still unclear on exactly how this should work. Suppose, in
> my RHS function for TS, I'm processing the grid to compute its time
> derivative and get to an edge. What do I do?
>
> If I set the derivative there to zero, the value will never change, but
> it *should* change so that the spatial derivative there is zero.

This can be implemented by creating algebraic constraints (which yields
a DAE) or by formulating the problem in terms of ghost cells.

Note that it is not required that a given one-sided difference equation
be satisfied at a boundary.  Indeed, if you enforce

  (u[1] - u[0])/h = 0

you'll see only first order accuracy.  The DAE formulation (even if you
use a high-order difference formula) can also lead to order reduction in
time, depending on the time integrator.  It's often preferable to use
ghost points

  u[-1] = u[1]

and then discretize your internal equations, e.g.,

  udot[0] + (-u[-1] + 2*u[0] - u[1])/h2 = 0

which often reduces to incorporating a transient term with the one-sided
algebraic formula up top

  udot[0] * h/2 - (u[1] - u[0])/h = 0

but this yields an ODE and retains second order accuracy.