[petsc-users] errors when using elemental with petsc3.10.5

Lailai Zhu julyzll06 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 21:48:22 CDT 2019

hi, dear petsc developers,

I am having a problem when using the external solver elemental.
I installed petsc3.10.5 version with the flag
--download-elemental-commit=v0.87.7
the installation seems to be ok. However, it seems that i may not be able
to use the elemental solver though.

I followed this page
https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MATELEMENTAL.html
to interface the elemental solver, namely,
MatSetType(A,MATELEMENTAL);
or set it via the command line '*-mat_type elemental*',

in either case, i will get the following error,

[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[0]PETSC ERROR: Unknown type. Check for miss-spelling or missing
package:
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/installation.html#external
[0]PETSC ERROR: Unknown Mat type given: elemental
[0]PETSC ERROR: See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html
for trouble shooting.
[0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.10.5, Mar, 28, 2019

May i ask whether there will be a way or some specific petsc versions
that are able to use the elemental solver?

Thanks in advance,

best,
lailai