[petsc-users] Problem with TS and SNES VI

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 6 10:47:13 CDT 2019

   Thanks, very useful.

   Are the non-physical values appearing in the nonlinear solver ? Or just at the time-step?

   Do you check for non-physical values each time you do a function evaluation needed by SNES/TS?

   If the non-physical values are an artifact of the steps taken in the nonlinear solver in SNES then the correct solution is to use
SNESLineSearchSetPreCheck() what you do is change the step so the resulting solutions are physical.

   For you case where the sizes go negative I am not sure what to do. Are the sizes allowed to go to zero? If so then adjust the step so that the sizes that go to negative values just go to zero. If they are suppose to be always positive then you need to pick some tolerance (say epsilon) and adjust the step so they are of size epsilon. Note you don't scale the entire step vector by a small number to satisfy the constraint you change each entry in the step as needed to satisfy the constraints.

   Good luck and let us know how it goes

   Barry