[petsc-users] DMDASetBlockFillsSparse format

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 22 00:33:39 CDT 2019

  I looked at the code and in the end the values get propagated into calls to MatSetValuesLocal() which does not require sorted values.
  Thus my conclusion is that you do not have to sorted column indices in these calls

   Barry

   Yes we do a nonexistent job of indicating when indices need to be sorted. Most places: creation of IS, MatSetValuesXXX, VecSetValuesXXX do not need to be sorted. We should mark explicitly any locations where int array values should be sorted in the API, if it is not marked you should assume they do not need to be sorted.