[petsc-users] Iterative solver behavior with increasing number of mpi

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 11:35:16 CDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 11:59 AM Marian Greg via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Thanks Satish for the reply. However, I also observed the same behavior
> with gamg and sor preconditioners and ksp_type bcgs as well as gmres. Could
> you tell which solver and preconditioners would behave same on whatever
> number of mpi I use?

1) SOR is parallel will also be Block Jacobi-SOR

2) Jacobi will be invariant

3) Chebyshev will be invariant

4) GAMG will be invariant if you have an elliptic equation. So for instance
you can use GAMG on SNES ex5 or ex12 and the iterates will not increase