[petsc-users] VecView to hdf5 broken for large (complex) vectors

Balay, Satish balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 17 00:53:21 CDT 2019

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019, Smith, Barry F. wrote:

>   So it sounds like spack is still mostly a "package manager" where people use "static" packages and don't hack the package's code. This is not unreasonable, no other package manager supports hacking a package's code easily, presumably. The problem is that in the HPC world a "packaged"
> code is always incomplete and may need hacking or application of newly generated patches and this is painful with static package managers so people want to use the git repository directly and mange the build themselves which negates the advantages of using a package manager.
>
>    Thanks
>
>     Barry
>
> Perhaps if spack had an easier mechanism to allow the user to "point to" local git clones it could get closer to the best of both worlds. Maybe spack could support a list of local repositories and branches in the yaml file. But yes the issue of rerunning the "./configure" stage still comes up.

$ spack help --all| grep diy
  diy                   do-it-yourself: build from an existing source directory

I haven't explored this mode though. [but useful for packages that are
not already represented in repo]

This more was in instructions for one of the packages - but then I
couldn't figure out equivalent of 'spack spec' vs 'spack install'
[query and check dependencies before installing] with diy

Its not ideal - but having local changes in our spack clones (change
git url, add appropriate version lines to branches that one is working
on) is possible [for a group working in this mode]. But might not be
ideal for folk who might want to easily do a one off PR - in this
mode.

Satish