[petsc-users] VecView to hdf5 broken for large (complex) vectors

Balay, Satish balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 16 23:04:06 CDT 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019, Smith, Barry F. wrote:

> > On Apr 16, 2019, at 10:30 PM, Sajid Ali <sajidsyed2021 at u.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> >
> > @Barry: Thanks for the bugfix!
> >
> > @Satish: Thanks for pointing out this method!
> >
> > My preferred way previously was to download the source code, unzip, edit, zip. Now ask spack to not checksum (because my edit has changed stuff) and build. Lately, spack has added git support and now I create a branch of spack where I add my bugfix branch as the default build git repo instead of master to now deal with checksum headaches.
>
>    With the PETSc build system directly it handles dependencies, that is if you use a PETSC_ARCH and edit one PETSc file it will only recompile that one file and add it to the library instead of insisting on recompiling all of PETSc (as developers of course we rely on this or we'd go insane waiting for builds to complete when we are adding code).

Yeah but this is within a single package - and only if we don't redo a configure.

And some of our code to avoid rebuilding external packages have corner cases - so we have to occasionally ask users to do 'rm -rf PETSC_ARCH'

>      Is this possible with spack?

Spack tries to do this [avoid rebuilds] at a package level.

However within a package - it doesn't keep build files. [and if the
user forces spack to not delete them with '--dont-restage
--keep-stage' - it doesn't check if the package need to run configure
again or not etc..] I'm not sure if this is possible to do
consistently without error cases across the package collection spack
has.

Satish