[petsc-users] VecView to hdf5 broken for large (complex) vectors

Balay, Satish balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 16 22:58:58 CDT 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019, Sajid Ali wrote:

> Lately, spack has added git support and now I create a branch of
> spack where I add my bugfix branch as the default build git repo instead of
> master to now deal with checksum headaches.

Some good and bad here..

    version('develop', branch='master')
    version('3.11.99', branch='maint')
    version('maint', branch='maint')

git branch is the only way to get a rebuild to pick up package changes (in branch)

However its best to set appropriate version numbers here. i.e
'3.11.99' should be preferable over 'maint'. Otherwise spack version
comparison logic will give unwanted results. It does stuff like:

develop > 3.11.99 > 3.10.xx > maint (or other strings)

Wrt tarballs and commit-ids - spack saves them as tarballs in cache
and reuses them. For ex: - the download below will be saved as
petsc-3.10.1.tar.gz.  Even if you change commit from 'abc' to 'def'
spack won't recognize this change and use the cached tarball.

However - the bad part wrt branch is - each time you do a 'spack
install' - it does a git clone.  [i.e there is no local git clone
which does a 'fetch' to minimize the clone overhead]

Satish