[petsc-users] VecView to hdf5 broken for large (complex) vectors

Balay, Satish balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 16 22:23:50 CDT 2019

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019, Smith, Barry F. via petsc-users wrote:

>   Funny you should ask, I just found the bug.
>
> > On Apr 16, 2019, at 9:47 PM, Sajid Ali <sajidsyed2021 at u.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Quick question : To drop a print statement at the required location, I need to modify the source code, build petsc from source and compile with this new version of petsc, right or is there an easier way? (Just to confirm before putting in the effort)
>
>    Yes. But perhaps spack has a way to handle this as well; it should. Satish? If you can get spack to use the git repository then you could edit in that and somehow have spack rebuild using your edited repository.

$ spack help install |grep stage
  --keep-stage          don't remove the build stage if installation succeeds
  --dont-restage        if a partial install is detected, don't delete prior state

Here is how it works.

- By default - spack downloads the tarball/git-snapshots and saves them in var/spack/cache
- and it stages them for build in var/spack/stage [i.e untar and ready to compile]
- after the build is complete - it installs in opt/.. and deletes the staged/build files.
 [if the build breaks - it leaves the stage alone]

So if we want to add some modifications to a broken build and rebuild - I would:

- 'spack stage' or 'spack install --keep-stage' [to get the package files staged but not deleted]
- edit files in stage
- 'spack install --dont-restage --keep-stage'
  i.e use the currently staged files and build from it. And don't delete them even if the build succeeds

Satish