[petsc-users] Bad memory scaling with PETSc 3.10

Zhang, Hong hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 15 12:10:29 CDT 2019

Myriam:
Thank you very much for providing these results!
I have put effort to accelerate execution time and avoid using global sizes in PtAP, for which the algorithm of transpose of P_local and P_other likely doubles the memory usage. I'll try to investigate why it becomes unscalable.
Hong

Hi,

you'll find the new scaling attached (green line). I used the version 3.11 and the four scalability options :
-matptap_via scalable
-inner_diag_matmatmult_via scalable
-inner_offdiag_matmatmult_via scalable
-mat_freeintermediatedatastructures

The scaling is much better! The code even uses less memory for the smallest cases. There is still an increase for the larger one.

With regard to the time scaling, I used KSPView and LogView on the two previous scalings (blue and yellow lines) but not on the last one (green line). So we can't really compare them, am I right? However, we can see that the new time scaling looks quite good. It slightly increases from ~8s to ~27s.

Unfortunately, the computations are expensive so I would like to avoid re-run them if possible. How relevant would be a proper time scaling for you?

Myriam