[petsc-users] Error with VecDestroy_MPIFFTW+0x61

Sajid Ali sajidsyed2021 at u.northwestern.edu
Mon Apr 15 11:47:24 CDT 2019

Hi Barry & Matt,

I'd be happy to contribute a patch once I understand what's going on.

@Matt, Where is the padding occurring? In the VecCreateFFTW I see that each
process looks up the dimension of array it's supposed to hold and asks for
memory to hold that via fftw_malloc (which as you say is just a wrapper to
simd-aligned malloc). Is the crash occurring because the first vector was
created via fftw_malloc and duplicated via PETScMalloc and they happen to
have different alignment sizes (FFTW was compiled with simd=avx2 since I'm
using a Broadwell-Xeon and PETScMalloc aligns to PETSC_MEMALIGN ?)

PS: I've only ever used FFTW via the python interface (and automated the
build & but couldn't automate testing of pyfftw-mpi since cython coverage
reporting is confusing).

Thank You,
Sajid Ali
Applied Physics