[petsc-users] Error with VecDestroy_MPIFFTW+0x61

Sajid Ali sajidsyed2021 at u.northwestern.edu
Sun Apr 14 19:28:06 CDT 2019

Hi PETSc Developers,

I happen to be a user who needs 4 vectors whose layout is aligned with
FFTW. The usual MatCreateVecsFFTW allows one to make 3 such vectors. To get
around this I call the function twice, once with three vectors, once with
one vector (and 2x NULL). This causes a strange segfault when freeing the
memory with VecDestroy (for the lone vector I'm guessing).

My program runs with no issues if I create the fourth vector with
VecCreateMPI (I need the 4th vector for point-wise multiply so this would
be ineffiient).

To get around this problem, is there a way to ask for 4 vectors aligned to
the FFTW matrix? If not is there a way to get the intended behavior from
VecCreateMPI, (perhaps by using a helper function to determine the data
alignment and pass to it instead of using PETSC_DECIDE)?

I'm attaching my code just in case what I'm thinking is wrong and anyone
would be kind enough to point it out to me. The issue is at line 87/88.
With 87, the program crashes, with 88 it works fine.

Thanks in advance for the help!

--
Sajid Ali
Applied Physics