[petsc-users] Bad memory scaling with PETSc 3.10

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Apr 10 23:01:13 CDT 2019

"Zhang, Hong" <hzhang at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> Jed:
>>> Myriam,
>>> Thanks for the plot. '-mat_freeintermediatedatastructures' should not affect solution. It releases almost half of memory in C=PtAP if C is not reused.
>
>> And yet if turning it on causes divergence, that would imply a bug.
>> Hong, are you able to reproduce the experiment to see the memory
>> scaling?
>
> I like to test his code using an alcf machine, but my hands are full now. I'll try it as soon as I find time, hopefully next week.

I have now compiled and run her code locally.

Myriam, thanks for your last mail adding configuration and removing the
MemManager.h dependency.  I ran with and without
-mat_freeintermediatedatastructures and don't see a difference in
convergence.  What commands did you run to observe that difference?