[petsc-users] Problem about Residual evaluation

Fande Kong fdkong.jd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 11:36:05 CDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 10:24 AM Matthew Knepley via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 10:22 AM Yingjie Wu via petsc-users <
> petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>> Dear PETSc developers:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been using -snes_mf_operator and I've customized a precondition
>> matrix to solve my problem.I have two questions about the residuals of
>> linear steps(KSP residual).
>>

>> 1.Since I'm using a matrix-free method, how do we get KSP residuals in
>> PETSc?
>>
>> r_m = b - A*x_m
>>
>> Is finite difference used to approximate "A*x_m" ?
>>

> Yes.
>

>> 2.What is the difference between instruction ' -ksp_monitor ' and '
>> -ksp_monitor_true_residual ' in how they are calculated?
>>

> The true residual is the unpreconditioned residual.

I actually have some specific understanding on " -ksp_monitor_true_residual",
but not sure it is right or not.  If I am wrong, please correct me.

When the preconditioning  matrix is super ill-conditioned, the ``true
residual" is not necessary ``true"  for the right preconditioning since an
unwind process is applied.  That is,   "-ksp_monitor_true_residual" does
not print ||b-Ax||, instead, it prints  the unpreconditioned residual by
unpreconditioning  the preconditioned residual.

Thanks,

Fande,