[petsc-users] First shift renders no information

Desforges Perceval perceval.desforges at ens-lyon.fr
Mon Sep 17 10:24:28 CDT 2018

Hello PETSc developpers,

I have been using SLEPc and PETSc for solving my sparse systems for a
small time now, and have been very satisfied with everything.

However, I have been running into an error lately, and I have been
unable to find any online resource  that talks about this specific
error.

I use SLEPc to find all the eigenvalues of certain tridiagonal and
symmetric matrices. I set the solver to find all the eigenvalues in a
large interval ([0;10] for example) using the spectrum splicing
technique. I use MUMPS because I would like to perform this calculation
in parallel later on, but for now I am doing it sequentially.

While the solver works very well for small enough matrices (n=2000),
when I increase the matrix size to around 10000, I get this error that I
do not really understand:

[0]PETSC ERROR: First shift renders no information

Could someone please enlighten me as to what this error means? I don't
know if it's relevant but I am using older version of PETSc (3.8.4) and
SLEPc (3.8.2).

I apologize in advance if this question has been answered somewhere
already.

Thank you very much,

Sincerely,

Desforges Perceval