[petsc-users] FIELDSPLIT fields

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 5 21:54:48 CDT 2018

> On Sep 5, 2018, at 9:22 PM, Rossi, Simone <srossi at email.unc.edu> wrote:
>
> Thanks for clarifying that.
>
> So if I have my subdomain set as
>
> 0 —— 1 —— 2  —— 3 —— 4  —— 5 —— 6
>  | subdomain 1 | subdomain 2 | subdomain 1 |
>
> Should I actually make sure that I define 3 separate subdomains?

   You don't have to. The degrees of freedom that define a subdomain do not have to be connected. So your first subdomain could be 0,1,2,5,6 and second subdomain 3,4.   For best convergence it is better if the subdomains are connected but they need not be for correctness. If it is a struggle to make them connected then don't worry about it.

   Barry