[petsc-users] Convergence of AMG

Manav Bhatia bhatiamanav at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 14:19:21 CDT 2018

I am trying to follow the meaning of this note from the manual:

“ GAMG removes small values from the graph with this threshold, and thus reducing the coupling in the graph and a different (perhaps better) coarser set of points"

So, I understand that increasing the value of threshold will result in larger number of connectivity edges to be dropped in the coarsening step.

However, conceptually I think of the connectivity in the Jacobian matrix as the off-diagonal terms, which are critical to defining the coupled nature of the dofs in the problem. If I understand the manual correctly (which I am likely not) AMG prefers that in the coarsening step more of these couplings be dropped to enhance convergence (?).

I can’t quite reconcile this with the potentially disastrous prospect of dropping couplings in the original matrix (without MG). But, somehow it works favorably for the coarsening step in a MG (?).

I would appreciate some guidance.

Regards,
Manav