[petsc-users] Problems with fortran subroutine DMDAVecGetArrayF90

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 26 20:33:11 CDT 2018

   In the two fortran examples that use this construct

src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex22f.F90 and ex45f.F90

the JJ and jac matrix are the same object so only one of them needs to have values set.

In general (for KSP and SNES) either

1) the JJ and jac matrices are the same object

or

2) the JJ is a matrix-free operator (obtained for example with -snes_mf_operator) so doesn't need to have its values set but just needs to know the current location that the Jacobian is computed at which is set with the code:

       if ( A .ne. B) then
         call MatAssemblyBegin(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY,ierr)
         call MatAssemblyEnd(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY,ierr)
       endif

  Note: that if you want JJ and jac to be two regular matrices with different numerical values (for example JJ is 4th order discretization and jac is 2nd order) then you are correct the one must set values (different of course) into each of the matrices.

  Barry