[petsc-users] [SLEPc] Number of iterations changes with MPI processes in Lanczos

Jose E. Roman jroman at dsic.upv.es
Tue Oct 23 05:59:29 CDT 2018

There is an undocumented option:

  -bv_reproducible_random

It will force the initial vector of the Krylov subspace to be the same irrespective of the number of MPI processes. This should be used for scaling analyses as the one you are trying to do.

An additional comment is that we strongly recommend to use the default solver (Krylov-Schur), which will do Lanczos with implicit restart. It is generally faster and more stable.

Jose