[petsc-users] Mac OSX 10.14 related MPI compilation issue

Ian Lin iancclin at umich.edu
Wed Oct 17 11:05:28 CDT 2018

Hi PETSc team,

I am using Mac computer as my local machine for testing my code linked with PETSc. Recently I just updated to OSX 10.14 (Mojave), and I found some compilation issue regarding the path of mpi.h. In my system, I used home-brew to install openmpi 3.1.2 with gcc 8.2. In the meantime, I had openmpi 1.10.7 installed and linked with gcc 8.2 and used it to compile PETSc. However it send me an error saying that
"PETSc was configured with one OpenMPI mpi.h version but now appears to be compiling using a different OpenMPI mpi.h version”
My configure command was ./configure --with-blaslapack-dir=/usr/local/opt/openblas --with-mpi-dir=/Users/iancclin/softwares/openmpi/1.10.7/gcc8 --prefix=/Users/iancclin/softwares/petsc/3.10.2/openmpi1.10.7_gcc8.2.0 I guess this should be simple enough to avoid any mistake. However the problem still persists. Besides, when I tried to compile PETSc with home-brew installed openmpi 3.1.2, it compile without any problem.

In make.log, somehow it was searching mpi.h in /usr/local/include instead of the include directory of my self installed openmpi 1.10.7. I attached my configure.log and make.log for your reference. Did I make any mistake on compiling? Or do you have any suggestion to workaround this?

Thanks a lot,
Ian