[petsc-users] Increasing norm with finer mesh

Weizhuo Wang weizhuo2 at illinois.edu
Mon Oct 8 17:13:29 CDT 2018

Sorry I was caught up with midterms for the last few days. I tried the lu
decomposition today and the 2-norm is pretty stable at ~ 10^-15, which is
expected for double precision. Since the discretization error is so small,
it would be reasonable to assume the rest is majority the algebraic error.
Then looking at the result without the -pc_type lu flag(second graph), the
error is asymptoting to a constant several magnitudes larger than the
tolerance set for the solver. (atol=1e-12, rtol=1e-9) Is this the expected
behavior? Shouldn't it decrease with finer grid?
[image: LU.png]
[image: Total.png]