[petsc-users] issue with DMPlexCreateFromCellListParallel

Andrea Ceresoli andreaceresoli91 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 12:26:58 CST 2018

Good evening,

I'm trying to make a parallel assembling of two networks in PETSc using
power2.c as a template.
Instead of reading data only from rank0 process, I want 2 processes (rank0
and rank1) to read their own data (each process reads case9.m). As far as
my understanding to make this work I modified the function
DMNetworkLayoutSetUp when the function DMPlexCreateFromCellList is called
and replaced it with DMPlexCreateFromCellListParallel when the size is
greater than 1.

Running with this new setup power2.c gives:

[1]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[1]PETSC ERROR: Invalid argument
[1]PETSC ERROR: Global vertex 9 on rank 1 was unclaimed
[1]PETSC ERROR: See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html for
trouble shooting.
[1]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.10.2, unknown
[1]PETSC ERROR: ./prova2 on a arch-linux2-c-debug named SGI-W-02 by sgilab
Thu Nov 22 19:11:40 2018
[1]PETSC ERROR: Configure options --with-cc=gcc --with-cxx=0 --with-fc=0
--download-f2cblaslapack --download-mpich
[1]PETSC ERROR: #1 DMPlexBuildFromCellList_Parallel_Internal() line 2632 in
/home/sgilab/petsc/src/dm/impls/plex/plexcreate.c
[1]PETSC ERROR: #2 DMPlexCreateFromCellListParallel() line 2776 in
/home/sgilab/petsc/src/dm/impls/plex/plexcreate.c
[1]PETSC ERROR: #3 DMNetworkLayoutSetUp_Parallel() line 328 in
/home/sgilab/petsc/src/snes/examples/tutorials/network/power2/prova2.c
[1]PETSC ERROR: #4 main() line 476 in
/home/sgilab/petsc/src/snes/examples/tutorials/network/power2/prova2.c
[1]PETSC ERROR: PETSc Option Table entries:
[1]PETSC ERROR: -ksp_type gmres
[1]PETSC ERROR: -pc_type bjacobi
[1]PETSC ERROR: -snes_atol 1e-8
[1]PETSC ERROR: -snes_converged_reason
[1]PETSC ERROR: -snes_linesearch_type basic
[1]PETSC ERROR: -snes_rtol 1e-20
[1]PETSC ERROR: -snes_type newtonls
[1]PETSC ERROR: -sub_pc_factor_mat_ordering_type qmd
[1]PETSC ERROR: -sub_pc_type lu
[1]PETSC ERROR: ----------------End of Error Message -------send entire
error message to petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov----------

I was wondering whether I am using DMPlexCreateFromCellListParallel in the
right context and for the right purpose.

Do you have any suggestions? What do you think?

Thank you in advance,

Andrea